Anchovies may be an acquired taste, but there are many reasons to eat these small fish. They usually come canned and/or smoked and are commonly used on pizza, in tomato sauce, and in Caesar salad dressing.
Here are seven health benefit of anchovies:
- Heart Health: Because anchovies are a good source of polyunsaturated fatty acids, they are beneficial for heart health. Eating anchovies can reduce bad cholesterol levels in the blood and reduce the risk of serious cardiovascular problems.
- Cellular Repair: The protein in anchovies is essential for cellular and connective tissue repair and growth.
- Skin Health: The essential fatty acids in anchovies, along with vitamin E and selenium, promote healthy skin. Eating anchovies on a regular basis may help you to maintain a clear complexion and prevent breakouts and wrinkles.
- Strong Teeth and Bones: Anchovies provide you with a good source of calcium, which helps to maintain healthy teeth and bones. They also contain vitamin A, another nutrient that promotes healthy bones.
- Eye Health: Another benefit to the vitamin A in anchovies is that it helps to maintain good vision and may prevent age-related eye diseases such as macular degeneration and cataracts.
- Weight Loss: Anchovies are low in calories and they provide protein, which may promote weight loss.
- Cleaner Seafood: Seafood often contains unhealthy levels of mercury and other environmental toxins. Anchovies are a better option because smaller fish contain fewer toxins thanks to their shorter life cycle.