The Superbowl is almost here – and whether you’re hosting a party or attending a potluck, it’s important to stay on track of your health goals. Don’t let the excuse of, “That’s all that was offered,” get the best of you. Be proactive and bring a dish or two that fits in your eating plan. Whether you’re gluten-free, dairy-free, Broncos or Cardinals, we have an option for you!
We surfed through some of our favorite health bloggers for recipes that would be perfect for this Superbowl.
Mini MeatballsBlog: Just Jessie B
This recipe comes from one of our favorite health food bloggers, Just Jessie B. These bite-sized treats are gluten free, dairy free and 100% Paleo-friendly. The recipe below yields approximately 50 mini meatballs.
- 1 lb grass-fed ground beef
- 8 oz gluten free pork sausage
- 1 cup cashew meal
- 1/4 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 2 eggs
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 white onion, minced
- salt & pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
- Add all of the ingredients to a large bowl, and use a fork (or fingers) to combine.
- Let the mixture chill, covered, in the refrigerator for 30 minutes~ if you’ve got time.
- Roll into small balls & place on a baking sheet lined with foil or parchment paper.
- Bake at 350ºF for 25-30 minutes, or until firm and slightly browned.
Garlic Chicken Wings
Chicken wings from a restaurant are typically high in calories. This recipe pulls most of its flavor from the garlic and additional spices (rather than a breading).
- 16 chicken drumsticks, skin-on
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 ½ tsp paprika
- 2 tsp garlic powder or chopped garlic
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- 2 tsp coconut oil (or any other oil of your choice)
- Pre-heat the oven to 375 F.
- Combine all of the sauce ingredients in a pan over low-medium heat and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Toss the chicken drumsticks in the pan, and thoroughly cover them.
- Put the drumsticks on a baking sheet in the oven for about 40 minutes at 375 F. Make sure to rotate the drumsticks once during the baking process.
Flourless Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Blondies
Even if your team doesn’t win, you can end on a sweet note with these gluten-free, dairy-free blondie bars!
- 1 cup natural creamy peanut butter* (preferably organic)
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1 whole egg
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt (if using unsalted peanut butter)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350F and grease an 8″ square pan with butter or coconut oil. In a small bowl, mix the peanut butter, honey, egg, salt and baking soda until well combined, then fold in the chocolate chips.
- Pour the batter into the greased pan, and use a spatula to smooth the top.
- Bake at 350F for 20-25 minutes, or until the top is a light golden brown. (it only took 20 minutes in my oven)
- Let cool, then cut into squares and serve! They were unbelievably gooey and delicious while still slightly warm.